Saturday, June 02, 2007

Gerrard - Man of The Match

1 June 2007 England 1-1 Brazil - International Friendly

First of all, I'm glad to see Owen playing again for England. He looked ok for me and all he needs is time. I'm positive he can come back as a good goal scorer. And as for Beckham's return, I think you have to give credits for his attitudes. I admire him for being professional and turn things around. Both England and Real Madrid manager had to call him back to the team, and you can't say that it's just a conincdent. And again, Gerrard was the star man for England. I don't like him playing at the holding role - thought that's a waste of his attacking force but he wouldn't let you down playing any position in the team apart from in goal I guess. The comments below pretty much sums up everything..

Gerrard outshines showman Beckham - by Phil McNulty
"...Gerrard was England's best player in a holding midfield role, while Lampard was poor once more on the international stage as the attacking force.The balance, at least, looked better, but this was more a tribute to Gerrard's brilliance and adaptability than signs of a genuine, workable partnership between the pair. Once Owen Hargreaves is fit, it will be interesting to see what decision McClaren can bring himself to take. He should drop Lampard, give Gerrard the attacking role, and use Hargreaves as the holder...."