Tuesday, April 17, 2007

18th Hillsborough Memorial Service

Alright, sorry about the delay, being lazy to post. I was at the 18th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield this Sunday. (There is no need to explain what happened in Hillsborough 18 years ago I guess?) Anyway, it was a really moving memorial service. I have to confess that as I saw the information on the official site that there would be reading by Carragher and Dalglish, I thought why not go and maybe I can see some players. It was totally not the case as I walked into the ground.

The story begins with that I got lost outside Anfield...again. Well, since I live in Newcastle, it takes me 5 hours on the coach to Liverpool and I have to change at Leeds. Anyway, I was waiting at the wrong stand so I missed the coach. So I was one hour late arriving Liverpool than I original planed. Being a little bit panic, I got onto a bus that I wasn't sure if it stopped by Anfield, though the driver confirmed. What happened was I got off the bus with many Everton fans at Goodison Park! lol So I walked passed a lot of blue fans who were heading for the game against Charlton and after about 15-20 minutes I finally saw Anfield. Couldn't believe it was my forth time there, and I still got lost!!

Fortunately I was just in time for the service but the thing was people were already sitting on the seats and as I walked through the entry to the Kop. I was frightened. Jesus, it was so quiet and I saw Peter Crouch was just on the seat near the entry. I didn't stare at him because I just wanted to quickly find a seat to sit down at that point. It made me nervous standing in front of people. And that was it. The service began and I felt not right taking out my camera. People around me were weeping and I found it hard caring about whether I see players or not or if I take any photo when Carra was reading. I just felt moved, especially when people were singing You'll Never Walk Alone. You could feel power from that sound that people really sticked together to remember the 96 and how much they seek the justice as they chanted.

I'm not a scouser, not even English, but I'm a Liverpool FC supporter, just like those who lost their lives 18 years ago. I think that's enough. I was exhausted spendinig one hour at Anfield but the most rest of the day on the coach, but I'm so glad I was involved. 96 has gone but shall not be forgotten, and we'll never give up for the justice.

"One morning, before everyone was in, I went out on to the pitch and tied my children's teddy bears around a goalpost at the Kop end. The goals, the pitch and the whole Kop were covered in flowers, scarves and tributes. I remember describing it as the 'saddest and most beautiful sight' I had ever seen. It really was like that. It was sad because of the reason why the tributes were there, but it was magnificent to see them. On the Friday night, after everybody had gone, I walked through the Kop with Kelly, Paul and Marina's dad, Pat. Paul looked at all the tributes, the flowers, the scarves and said: 'Why did it have to happen to us?' Kelly, Paul and I stood at the back of the Kop with tears falling down our faces. Walking through the Kop was so emotional. A lot of tributes had been left by people in the place where their loved one had stood" ........Read more about how our legend Kenny Dalglish describes the memories of Hillsborough in his autobiography. (a must read!) Meanwhile, Liverpoolfc.tv has offered the clip of the entire 18th memorial service. If you care about it, have a look and spend a few minutes to remember our 96 sisters and brothers.

Finally with the recent massacre happened at Virginia Tech University, let us pray for the innocent lives that had lost. I got a mixed feeling after seeing the news because I just came back from the Hillsborough memorial service. On one hand people showing love and generosity to strangers but on the other hand, people being selfish killing innocent ones without reasons. I feel sad but I hope people would still believe in love and humanity. My thoughts go to families and may those who lost their lives RIP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Oklahoma City Divorce Attorney said...

Beautiful pic of the stadium - thanks for sharing.

08 October, 2011 04:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home