Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Bye-bye Barca - We're Through!!!!!

6 Mar 2007 Liverpool 0-1 Barcelona (agg 2-2) - CL last 16 2nd leg

BBC - Eidur Gudjohnsen's late goal left Liverpool hanging on against Barcelona before reaching the last eight of the Champions League on away goals. The former Chelsea star rounded Pepe Reina after 75 minutes to leave Liverpool, who had dominated, living on their nerves in the closing stages. John Arne Riise and Momo Sissoko both struck the bar as Liverpool left Barcelona's stars in the shade. Ronaldinho hit a post, but Liverpool deserved to reach the quarter-final.

Carra: "The club's got a great history in Europe but besides winning finals this is probably the biggest result in Europe we've ever had. Barcelona are the best club side in the world, even though we've knocked them out. We were hanging on - with 10-12 minutes to go we were just praying for the whistle. We didn't realise until a few seconds after the blew it that he had - we got there in the end."

Stevie: "We were unlucky not to go in at half-time ahead. Barcelona are so good going forward, they play such nice football, but we stuck in there and are in the last eight now. We've got great spirit, grit and determination - people were throwing bodies about and that's one of the reasons we're through. It gives us great confidence, going through against the best side in Europe over two legs."

Stevie on Carra: "Over the two legs, Carra has been phenomenal. Maybe there are a few outside Liverpool who are surprised by how good he's been, but it's no surprise to me or anyone else who has seen him just get better and better every season. I look around at the defenders across Europe and the rest of the world, and I really don't see anyone who's better than him. I definitely wouldn't swap him for anyone. I also know the England manager was in the crowd last night, and after seeing a performance like that, it's going to make his next team selection very interesting. But as well as Carra, I think all the lads deserve credit for the way we got through. Daniel Agger is an unbelievable talent for his age, Steve Finnan was magnificent in both games and Alvaro Arbeloa has come into the side and done a great job straight away."


Stevie on Rafa: "We all have total respect and confidence in Rafa Benitez. He has shown he is one of the best managers in the world, and he shows it with the tactics he uses in Europe. We always trust him to get it right, and he did it again this time. We feel we've put a marker down. We've beaten the best team in Europe over two legs."

Xabi: "We have to take it step by step and be realistic. In the quarter-finals we are going to meet a tough team and we don't want to look too far. We have respect for all the teams, but we are not scared of anyone."

Bellamy: "It was an amazing occasion and the biggest night of my life. It was incredible when you consider the tempo and everything about the match. I have never experienced a game at this level. It is all about team spirit. When you come to a club like Liverpool, with what they have won like the European Cup the season before and then the FA Cup, it is all about spirit. There is always a great team spirit anyway. But when you arrive and mix with these players, you know it is a family club. You come in and you are all together. Against a team like Barcelona everyone has to contribute and that is what has happened. Over two legs usually the best team goes through and we were the best team. Did we prove people wrong? It wasn't an issue, not many of the critics get it right anyway."

Rafa: "I am really proud of the players and the supporters. They were amazing. We always have the best supporters in the world and tonight they were almost perfect."

I was in the same bar I went to for the 1st leg, and the Liverpool fans there were still brilliant - even better this time. It felt like Kop End in Anfield! People were so together! In the end when they were hugging each other, singing You'll Never Walk Alone, I sat down and listened to them. I wanted to sing with them, but I just couldn't bring myself together. I have never heard something like that! It's hard to describe the feeling with words. I said to myself, it's not yet final, don't cry, not here! It's actually quite strange because I'm not even a Scouser, and I've just known Liverpool for less than 3 years!! I really have no answer of this, but one thing is for sure, I love to be with Reds. I love it! Players are talking about spirit in the team. I tell you what, there's also spirit between fans - an invisible power was there to bring us together. It's something more than just Merseypride - that can explain why someone like me can be moved so much. I believe it's this kind of spirit either between players or between fans, and plus the special relationship between players and fans that made Liverpool football club so successful in history.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Red said...

Well done my mighty REDS!!!!!!!!!!
p.s Alonso looks like he's gonna have a shxt or sth.ahahhaha

07 March, 2007 06:15  
Blogger bo_ghazi said...

They played very well... too bad we lost & we missed many many chances to the extent that I felt it will end up the same way it ended with Man utd, but thankfuly it didn't & we qualified :)

Well done Reds

07 March, 2007 10:10  
Blogger CHRISTINA said...

Yeah! Well done Reds (:

07 March, 2007 10:55  
Blogger Tim Robinson said...

PHEW !!

This club is built on European foundations and they needed all that experience to endure the 90 minutes this morning!

By the way ... I think I'm in love with Jamie Carragher! Words cannot explain the ability and dedication of that man!

07 March, 2007 11:45  
Blogger loveuamy said...

oh dear, what a night! ruthy, haha stop it! he's still perfect to me!

bo_ghazi, this 0-1 is much sweeter then last Sat's wasn't it. lol

hi there Christina, you got a lovely sit there!

Tim, i know exactly how you felt. honestly! JC is heroic in my eyes!

07 March, 2007 14:59  
Blogger Barista Aprons said...

This is Song Offical Web Site www.YouWillNeverWalkAlone.com

30 July, 2009 00:07  
Anonymous Oklahoma City Divorce Attorney said...

I love that top pic! thanks for sharing

08 October, 2011 13:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home