Wednesday, February 21, 2007

You Two Are On Fire - Can't Stop Making Headlines Can You

21 Feb 2007 Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool - CL last 16 1st leg

BBC - Deco nodded Barca in front from Gianluca Zambrotta's precise cross. But Liverpool dug in and they levelled when Barca keeper Victor Valdes let Bellamy's header creep over the line. Barca poured men forward but the Reds took the lead when Bellamy teed up Riise to fire home and they held on to win despite seeing Deco hit the post.

Bellamy:
"You couldn't make up what has happened tonight. I've not been reading the papers so I've not been too bothered what people say. All I wanted to do was make the most of the special atmosphere and the build up to the game. I've been reasonably lucky in football, playing for my country and other big clubs, but this is my best moment in the game."

"It was important at the final whistle that we didn't milk the victory. The dressing room was actually quite subdued afterwards. Well, as subdued as it can be after a win at the Nou Camp. This is a great result but it is only half-time. We've got to go back to Anfield for a completely different game, so as good a result as this is, there's still a long way to go. I take the rough with the smooth and to be honest I'm a bit gobsmacked tonight - coming here to the Nou Camp was something else. It's also my boy's 10th birthday today so it's just been really special. We wanted to hold them out for as long as possible but we knew it was going to be difficult. They are a top, top side and the reigning champions of Europe, but we've done a lot of work to prepare for this game and I think you could see that."

Rafa: "I didn't see Bellamy's celebration. I thought the keeper was going to catch the ball and I was thinking about what to do in the second half, so I didn't realise it was a goal at first. But I am really pleased with Craig and the team. Riise also scoring a goal was just a coincidence but you have got to be happy with that. I am really pleased that both scored and that they got the goals that mattered. The training camp in Portugal was really helpful for us. The commitment of the players was good before and after the problems, and even if that hadn't happened I'm sure we'd have done the same tonight because the atmosphere in the squad was really good."

Riise: "We knew we needed to enjoy it out there and believe in ourselves. To be fair we started the game very well. They scored but we knew that if we worked hard we would get a goal back. The boss has shown tonight that, tactically, he's one of the best around."

Agger: "We should keep our feet on the ground. Barcelona is also a very good side on the road, much can happen." "The atmosphere and football was one of the best I have experienced. It's a matter of being in the right position on the pitch and working hard for the side. Additionally we tried to create some good counter attacks and I feel we succeeded well."


I still can't believe it - not about beating Barca, about Bellamy and Riise scored!! What a coincidence!! Stories about their fracas during training camp were all over, and they hit the headlines again but with good this time! Well done you lads! Let's do more golf and karaoke, shall we? lol
I was in a bar with some reds. They're brilliant, and on my way home, saw some other fans singing on the street. This, without doubt, was the best feeling I have ever had during my time in Newcastle.

3 Comments:

Blogger sikingthegreat1 said...

it's so nice to read that you said it was the best feeling you have ever had during your time here.... which means i've taken you to the correct place for the match then! lol i love that place so much too!

25 February, 2007 00:06  
Blogger loveuamy said...

i didn't tell you that on my way home alone i saw another three Reds and they were singing across the road. they saw me and sang towards me, and i smiled to them as well. it was really a great night wasn't it.

cheers for taking me there!

25 February, 2007 14:21  
Anonymous Oklahoma City Divorce Attorneys said...

That sounds like a powerful one-two punch.

08 October, 2011 13:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home