Sunday, October 08, 2006

Nothinig New

7 Oct 2006 England 0-0 Macedonia - Euro 2008 qualifier

BBC - Steve McClaren's side wasted several chances, with Gary Neville and Steven Gerrard hitting the woodwork. Macedonia keeper Jane Nikoloski saved well from Frank Lampard and Peter Crouch, but Igor Mitrevski's header was only inches away from shocking England. Wayne Rooney was substituted on his return and Gerrard will miss the clash with Croatia after a yellow card.

Gerrard: "I was really disappointed with the referee's decision. I told him I got the ball and he agreed with me but said the momentum took me into the player. England against Croatia is a great fixture. As a player, you want to be involved in all the big games, so I'm going home really frustrated, not just with not getting three points but also with missing the Croatia game. I will be cheering the boys on from home. Hopefully, they will turn in a good performance and get the result."

"I need a change of luck. I have already hit the woodwork four or five times this season. I hit the shot well but maybe I hit it a little too well. Sometimes, you mis-hit them and they go in."


(on Rooney) "Wayne can handle all the pressure and he will come through this no problem. He was our best player in training all week and he is the best player in the country bar none. I would not be surprised if he goes to Croatia and wins the game on his own for the country. That's how good Wayne is."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home