Thursday, October 26, 2006

God Captained As Reds Through

25 Oct 2006 Liverpool 4-3 Reading - Carling Cup 3rd Round

BBC - A Robbie Fowler dinked finish and John Arne Riise's powerful left-foot shot put Liverpool firmly in control on the stroke of half-time. Gabriel Paletta glanced in his first goal for Liverpool just after the break before Andre Bikey headed one back. Peter Crouch appeared to seal the win at 4-1 but Leroy Lita and Shane Long made it a thrilling finish at Anfield.

Fowler: "I don't know what to expect this weekend. Obviously I hope I'll be involved, but it's not me who decides these things. Apart from the first 30 or 40 minutes last night, I thought I did well, and all I can hope is the manager liked what he saw."

"The manager has explained the situation to me, and I totally understand the position. I said when I came back I just wanted to enjoy every minute I get playing for Liverpool, and I'd be happy being involved as much as I can be. That's the way I feel. I've always been confident I'll score goals given the chance, and it was an important one last night because it gave us the stepping stone we needed to get the results."

"Once we got the first, it calmed us all down and we played well to get to 4-1. It's an important competition for a lot of us because the longer we're in it the more first team opportunities we'll get."