Sunday, October 22, 2006

'Giving away possession at Old Trafford is close to suicide.'

22 Oct 2006 Man Utd 2-0 Liverpool - EPL

BBC - Paul Scholes scored on his 500th appearance to set Manchester United on their way to a deserved victory over Liverpool at Old Trafford. The midfielder forced the ball home after keeper Jose Reina had got a hand to his initial shot after 39 minutes. That came after Dirk Kuyt had wasted Liverpool's best effort with a free header from Mark Gonzalez's cross. Rio Ferdinand smashed in a second to make it 2-0 after 66 minutes as United returned to the top of the Premiership.

Rafa: "It is clearly one of my most disappointing days as manager of the club. It is a game I know everybody at the club and the supporters wants us to win, particularly at Old Trafford."

-------------------------------------------------------------
I've been reading Gerrard's autobiography. Actually it's been almost two months since I bought the book, but I just don't want to read it all at a time, ensuring that I can pick it up anytime and read something new. The day before this big match against Man U, I was reading Stevie talking about traveling to Old Trafford in 2000. I really enjoy reading Gerrard's book and always have a laugh while reading it. He swears all the time throughout the book, and I just LOVE IT! lol

"Visiting Old Trafford is like negotiating an assault course as it rains vitriol. That 2000 trip was no different. Driving behind enemy lines triggered the usual stick. Liverpool's coach was belted, the United fans jumping up at the windows, their faces contorted by sheer hatred. We got the full welcome: V signs, wanker signs, knife signs. 'Fuck off, scum!' they'd shout. 'we'll fucking kill you!' 'In your Liverpool slum...' they sang. The poison dripping from the United fans never ceases to shock me. Shit, they really loathe us. Bang. A window splintered and a brick nearly bounced off my head. Jesus Christ. Here we go again. I ran for the gate leading to the dressing-rooms."


".....Everton fans have grown to despise me because I score against them so regularly, and because I keep saying I love beating Everton. They loathe me when I play against them, but I think they respect me as a player. At Old Trafford, it's different. Everyone there just hates me because I'm Liverpool. That winter's day in 2000 was no different. I almost couldn't hear the first whistle because of the booing. 'Fuck me,' I thought, 'this is show time. Get on my game or get fucked.' "

"For ten minutes, United gave an exhibition of possession. All of Fergie's players, not just Keane, kept the ball well. I had played against decent sides and players before, but United were on a different level. I didn't get a kick for ages. I had been warned. In the dressing-room, Gerard and Thommo said, 'Press them, choke them, stick together, be compact. And whatever you do, don't lose the ball.' Why? Because Keane will kill you. Because United's fans will piss themselves. Giving away possession at Old Trafford is close to suicide. I lost a few passes, Keane got the better of me a few times, and I had 60,000 Mancs laughing at me. Shit. No-one is welcome at Old Trafford, particularly not neighbours from along the East Lancs Road, and that is why United have been so successful. They have a great team housed in a stadium that scares the shit out of visitors."

[Buy Gerrard: My Autobiography]

------------------------------------------------------------
We won in 2000 btw, and that was our Treble season. 'Giving away possession at Old Trafford is close to suicide.' Quite true, isn't it. That 4-5-1 formation should have brought more possession in the midfield, but it didn't. We have 4 top strikers in our team. Okay, Bellamy got injury. How about Crouch? You never drop a scoring striker. Kuyt has been great since he came, but he was so isolated upfront alone. Garcia gave the ball away all the time, and Momo couldn't pass the ball well enough though he's good at tackles as usual. But it's Gonzalez and Alonso got substituted?

Man U deserved the win, they were that great. But keep working hard I say. Fight back is the only thing we can do now. Keep the faith and quite the criticisms. Come on, wake up! Stop thinking that 'at least we creat chances'. Not enough, no fucking way! YOU'VE GOT TO SCORE, WIN AND TAKE ALL 3 POINTS!!
(Well..hope Reading be nice to our goalkeeper on Wed, as we have only one left at the moment. lol)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the defeat stinks just like Gerrard's jersey.

Camption comp winner! Argh anyway cheer up =\

23 October, 2006 11:07  
Blogger loveuamy said...

awww...come on Reds!

25 October, 2006 23:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home