Thursday, August 17, 2006

This Is What We Need - Balance!

16 Aug 2006 England 4-0 Greece - International Friendly

BBC - John Terry marked his first match as captain by nodding in the opening goal after Stewart Downing had headed the ball into the penalty area. Frank Lampard then scored with a deflected shot and soon after it was his close-range effort which rebounded for Peter Crouch to stab home. Crouch rounded off the scoring with a downward header into the top corner.

McClaren ends the golden era

[The Guardian - Kevin McCarra]

While it may have been drastic to throw David Beckham out of the squad entirely, his defenestration instantly removed one problem. The constitution of the midfield ceased to be a conundrum. Steven Gerrard found it agreeable enough to be on the right and that cleared a space for the pleasingly complementary partnership of Owen Hargreaves and Frank Lampard to be established in the centre.

While he spoke the truth, McClaren's presentation of the Bayern Munich player as a leader showed him resetting perceptions of the pecking order that have been too settled for too long. "Hargreaves gave a great performance," the manager said, "and I think he set the standard for the other two. [Gerrard and Lampard] have looked and thought, 'Phew, we have to follow that.' And they did it. Frank was full of running.


Gerrard did not enjoy playing under Eriksson
[The Guardian - Daniel Taylor]

Gerrard fulfilled his new responsibilities as David Beckham's replacement on the right of midfield with distinction during the 4-0 defeat of Greece and it is a position he is eager to retain in the future. "It's the first time in a long time that I have really enjoyed myself playing for England," he said. "I loved it, to be honest. The boss told me a few days ago that he wanted me to get forward, play with freedom and not to be scared to try things.

"It's a different role than before and it's me all over - breaking from midfield. I wouldn't say it is a completely free role, I still have a responsibility to get back and help Gary Neville, but the manager told me he wanted me to start doing for England what I've been doing for Liverpool and that suits me perfectly."


"It's a fresh start now," Gerrard said last night. "Everyone is still hurting from the World Cup. We put the supporters through enough pain in the summer. It's important we bring our club form into these internationals and it's important that we start playing like a team. I think we have been guilty in the past of playing too individually and it hasn't worked out. Against Greece, I think you saw a good team performance from start to finish. We passed the ball well, played at a high tempo and now we have set a standard that we need to maintain for the future."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

03 February, 2007 13:26  
Anonymous Oklahoma City Divorce Attorneys said...

That's a solid squad - very competitive.

08 October, 2011 16:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home