Saturday, July 29, 2006

Culture Shock?

No, there isn't, literally. I wake up thinking 'where the hell am I' ?? As usual I turn on my laptop and open the BBC radio Five Live, get dressed and go the the kitchen. My Taiwanese flat-mate is making breakfast for me, and then my day starts with a lot of conversations in...Chinese...

There are almost hundred students attanding summer language school, and mostly Chinese and Taiwanese. I go everywhere with some of them living around me in the same accommadation building. Yeah sometimes I forget where am I, until that freaking-out (as Spo put it) accent come out from the cashier in the supermarket.

Loads and loads of shopping to do at the moment, filling up the fridge and cabinet, etc. Another thing keeps reminding me that I'm actually in the UK is those Newcastle Utd and England shirts on the streets. When I was in Taiwan, I could always find out any football shirt in the crowds and then felt happy seeing that because it's too rare. But here in Newcastle, well, I can't help wondering 'don't they got any other shirt than that?' Is it like opening every family's cloest, there will be all black and white, home, away, training kit.... Come on!

The weather is strange. Warm and sometimes hot? Again, am I in the north of England??

4 Comments:

Blogger Spo said...

try greeting locals with:

"Weyhey man how ya dooin like?!"

and yes Uk is in the middle of the hottest month on record - when it sorts itself out it will get a hell of a lot colder!!!

31 July, 2006 21:06  
Blogger loveuamy said...

yeah it starts raining and getting colder lately. i'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow.

will bring back some great pics! (btw, i love the sky here! beauty!)

01 August, 2006 21:18  
Blogger Spo said...

Edinburgh is bar far and away my favourite city on this earth - enjoy

02 August, 2006 17:06  
Anonymous Oklahoma City Divorce Attorneys said...

That sounds like a lot of fun.

08 October, 2011 17:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home